About Me

My photo
Born in Ottawa, grew up in Saskatoon, living in Toronto. Proud Father. I love what I do.

Friday, July 23, 2010

2 Days of Pure Joy. The last 2 days in India


The iron stomach has fallen, alert the troops, the impossible has happened.  After lasting 26 days in India, surprising even myself, my stomach finally said no more.  If I was to take a wild guess, it may have been the last 2 days in the village of Barliyas.  I broke pretty much every safe eating rule there was.  Except the opium, I did say no to that (they actually do eat it there).  If I had only eaten opium, I could have blamed that. 

Regardless of where and when it happened, it happened.  There is no need to get into detail about such matters.  But I spent an entire day in bed, curled up in a ball (feel free to sympathize at any time), making about 5 trips to the bathroom an hour.  Let me tell you, good times, good times. 

Best part is that it was 45 degrees outside, Phil had to bring me water and food, not that I ate much.  I love to eat so this was tough. Whatever bug I had reduced me to 4 bananas, and 3 toasts (melba sized) for the entire day.  I slept most of the day, and throughout the night. 

Day 2 things shifted from end to the other.  Feeling better I decided to get out of bed, get out, explore a little.  That ended with nausea, losing lunch and quick trip back to bed.  BY nightfall I was so hungry.  Feeling better, and famished I took to the street only to find it was raining, not raining, pouring, so much the street flooded.  Had I decided to leave I would have been treading through water at knee height.  Which in some cases, would have been great, I do love a good rain. However when cows rule the streets they leave behind wonderful gifts, when you combine those gifts with knee high water, one tends to rethink a frolic in the puddles at hand.  So there I was, sick for two days, stomach more than empty, finally feeling better, and no where to go.  2 hours later I was free, the streets drained and I hit up the Savage Garden (sounds like my stomach over the last 2 days), they are the only place I knew of that makes home made pasta.  My pesto chicken tagliatelle didn’t stand a chance.  Best part is that my stomach welcomed it with open arms, it didn’t send it back, or tell it to get out, it was happy.

Losing my last 2 days was disappointing as I missed a gypsy birthday party on the 21st with my host Phil and I was planning to focus more on the traffic, and shoot a village just outside of Udaipur.  I really wanted to capture more of the feel of the city before I left.  Looking on the brightside of traveler’s Diarrhea, at least it happened at the end (no pun intended), after I had already experienced so much.. 
 

India, I will be back.  Bring on the UK. 

Since I haven’t been posting, I’ll probably be adding stuff at random.  Just so you know.
 

No comments: